Monday, December 31, 2012

Raise your glasses (to the year that was)

It's New Year's Eve. We survived the "End of the World", Xmas madness, and now the next hurdle will be how many will feel like they'll ever survive the epic hangoverss that greet them in the morning...

In the merriment of ringing in a new year, a blank slate, a new beginning, I have to pause and think about what 2012 meant to me.

It's been a big year. A year where I made new friends, a year where things went up as fast as they went down, a year where I had new adventures and a year that when I look back on it, I think I learnt more than I ever thought possible. In fact, it's all happened in such a blur I'm not sure if it all really was just some kind of crazy dream, but then I pinch myself and realise, that well, I'm awake. Life really is short, and it seems to just get faster and faster.

So what was 2012?

2012 was the year of in the time it takes to blink everything can change. My opinions changed. The way people treated me changed, and most of all I changed. I expected to be unemployed right now but have finished my PhD. I didn't expect to be back in my hometown for years. Instead in the space of a couple of months I moved over 2000km, am now employed, but alas the thesis isn't finished (but it will be soon, I hope!)

2012 was the year I realised some people weren't meant to be my friend. I also realised that people who I considered friends, were in fact not my friends at all. That people who I thought were good, were in fact, not good at all. All in all, I learnt the hard way that assholes happen and that not everyone will like you, no matter how hard you try.

It was a year I learnt the power of my voice - that if I want to make a difference to the world, I can. It's hard work to make an impact, but I wish more people realised the power they hold as individuals, and that their dreams and goals are achievable.

I learnt the power of hard work, a kind word and how just being there for someone can make profound differences.

I saw the power science has to change the world - from the Higgs Boson, to landing on Mars to the ENCODE project I saw how science inspires others and how many people get excited by science. This has motivated me immensely to ensure to I share my passion and love of science with others.

I learnt that Rome wasn't built in a day.

2012 was a full-on year. A year of growth, of challenge, of living. It is amazing to think a year ago, there were people I talked to that now I don't, there were friendships to be made, there was knowledge I now have that I didn't then, and that I was living in a different town. A lot can happen in 365 days.

So before I ring in the New Year, and new challenges and adventures, I pause to look at the year that was and realise, that living is full of one thing - change; and even though at times I'm afraid of it, and it is hard, that at the end of the day I do welcome it. I also thank the people that in various ways have made 2012 awesome - there are those that make me laugh, made me cry, make me think, make me feel inspired and at the end of it all, made me who I am.

Happy New Year - may it be full of science, prosperity, adventure, living life to the fullest and most of all, full of wonderment.

No comments:

Post a Comment